Disclaimer

The opinions expressed in previous entries may or may not express the current opinion of the author.
Welcome!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Natural Diet

Today I took the new filly for a walk (or should I say she took me). Her previous residence, before moving to our barn, was a large field which encompassed an acre or two of woods. Once when I was visiting her there, I saw her eating some moss. I imagine there were other plants in the woods which she used to snack on as well.

In a recent post, Lynne Gerard writes that one of the young Sorraia mustangs started eating cedar fruits after being stuck in the nose by a porcupine. She notes that cedar oils are known to support the immune system.

Today on our walk, the filly ate some acorns which she found on the ground, as well as breaking off and chewing some shrub twigs (which I couldn't identify). I wonder what sources of nutrition she is deprived of by being confined to a pasture containing only grass, clover, and a few weeds.

Although the fields are manicured, the property is surrounded by woods and wooded trails. It would be a good idea to take the horses on regular foraging expeditions to the woods or to make foraging breaks a part of every trail ride.

Yet another reason to go bitless!






Bridget checks out the new place.

No comments:

Post a Comment