Disclaimer

The opinions expressed in previous entries may or may not express the current opinion of the author.
Welcome!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Call Me Crazy

Oh, and you will. But as this blog is as much about what goes in my head as in the pasture, I am going to attempt to set down the latest random meanderings of my mind.

Two roads lead to where I'm going here. One is a recent post by Sandra about a bad fall she experienced, and a link she posted to another blog, where there is a very nice list of Things To Do To Not Fall Off. My attention was particularly caught by the advice to sit in and not on the horse.

The other road is less clear. It started with me searching for the word "horse" in the New Testament (something which is very easy to nowadays thanks to sites like this one. Why was I searching for the word "horse" in the New Testament? Can't remember. But this passage caught my eye:
 Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses. (Revelation 19:11-14)
I was especially struck by this passage, as a long time ago I wrote a sort of apocalyptic poem involving a white horse, and it occurred to me again that, you know, when the last trumpet sounds and all that, I'd like to be riding with the armies of heaven on a white horse.

So, naturally I wondered if I'd be good at staying on my white horse, while Beasts and Flames of Fire and Dripping Blood and Fiends and Angels are charging about all over the place. I mean, I expect my white horse would be really stalwart and not at all spooky, but there might have to be some pretty snappy maneuvering, and I really hope I would be sitting in and not on my steed.

It's never to soon to start practicing. So I have been imagining myself sitting astride my noble charger (actually, please sign me up for a white Highland pony, I think it would be much safer) and checking with myself to make sure I have an independent seat and hands and that I am in-not-on.

There are all kinds of situations where seat and hands can get stuck together - especially driving and of course .... using the computer. Moreover, every moment in life is a temptation to be on-not-in. I won't go into all the details of lengthening-and-widening-the-back, dropping-the-seatbones, releasing-down-the-back-of-the-legs, freeing-the-neck, dropping-the-elbows - suffice it to say there's enough material to keep me occupied until the last trumpet does in fact sound. Plus also it might come in handy for riding chestnut mares as well.

I could've thought of doing this without the extra incentive of the armies of heaven, but that's what it took to get me to really focus. For the record, I'm actually plugging the scenario outlined in one of my recommended books - The Splendor of Creation, which has a rather different spin on the End Times - orthodox, of course, but distinctly less alarming.  Hopefully there'll be white horses no matter what.

2 comments:

  1. Actually I can relate to the trip you've taken to get here. I find myself making such journeys sometimes and wondering, "what the heck" only to get to the end to realize the connection. Hey, it's what works. In and not on is a hard concept for many. I tend to think of it as riding with the horse and not against it. For some reason that impression sticks with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! Maybe I'm not crazy after all ....

    ReplyDelete