Disclaimer

The opinions expressed in previous entries may or may not express the current opinion of the author.
Welcome!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A New Challenge from George

I was just remarking the other day that George had - for the time being - stopped challenging me. He has been extremely accommodating and placid recently, leaving me alone when asked and keeping a much lower profile.

Today, however, he came back with something a little different. I went into the field with a pocketful of treats, gave George a couple, and then went over to let the mares have some. When George followed, I asked him to give me more space and allow the mares their share.

He did give me more space, but each time I headed over toward the mares, George happened to be in the way. At first, I hardly noticed what was going on, but after a couple of times, I suddenly realized what he was doing. Then, instead of walking around him, I told him I knew what he was up to and walked straight through him. As soon as I directly addressed his new tactic, he backed off considerably.

I pursued the mares with George lurking nearby. They edged away, looking nervously at George, and going "No, no, really, it's fine, I don't need a treat." Meanwhile, I'm shoving my hand under their noses, going, "You're going to have this treat, young lady, and you're going to enjoy it!"

If George was in the mood to interfere, he always used to be right up in my face; or if that failed, he'd try to intimidate the other horse into leaving, using mean looks and veiled threats. This is a creative new maneuver he has come up with - blocking my access to the mares, but subtly - not getting into my space, but positioning himself in my path. What goes on in your wee head, Georgie?

1 comment:

  1. I had to smile as I read this. I am all too familiar with this particular move.

    ReplyDelete