Disclaimer

The opinions expressed in previous entries may or may not express the current opinion of the author.
Welcome!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Opposite Problem

Once your horses learn that coming out of their pasture does not mean pressure, coercion and stress, but that, instead, they get to choose their own activities, they quickly come to the conclusion that there's not much percentage in being returned whence they came.

Chloe and Bridget scurry to the gate as soon as they see me arrive.  They are showing less and less interest in going back into their pasture.

This "problem" highlights the fact that the pasture is actually not a very interesting place.  There's just not much going on in there.

I don't have to deal with this issue right now, as we're probably moving soon.  But I can see it's something I may have to address later on.  Does anyone out there have any good ideas for making a happy horse habitat?

4 comments:

  1. I also feel a bit sad that Olga is always standing near the gate when I am around, expecting me to go and entertain her in some way. It's not nice to know that she is THAT bored :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe she's not that bored - maybe she just thinks you're a super-fantastic-fun person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that Bridget used to be in a really big pasture, with ponds and woods, as well as a friend. But even then she would follow me to the gate and paw at it after I left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I'm afraid she is just bored :) But that should change when she gets to that new place, then I'll be happy if she still wants to be with me :)

    ReplyDelete